10 Must Buy Costco Items

Sunday, September 14, 2014

I have always loved shopping at Costco. It's true that sometimes you can go crazy and spend way more money than you intend to but there are a lot of products that are amazing deals and very high quality. I have especially noticed this since moving to California where grocery prices are through the roof.



These are a few of my favorite Costco finds.

Kirkland Multigrain Bread - This is my all time favorite bread. It is healthy yet soft and 100% whole grain. It is my favorite for for sandwiches or toast. This comes in a 2 pack for about $4.50 I keep one loaf in the fridge and toss the other in the freezer.

Vanilla Extract - I can always tell the difference in my baking when I use this product. It is a great price for being such a high quality product. Have I mentioned how amazing it smells? This is about $8 for a 16oz bottle compared to a lot of other brands that sell for about $5 for 2 oz.

TruRoots Organic Quinoa - The price of quinoa has sky rocketed in the last few years due to high demand but this is about $2 a pound less than any other retailer in my area. Most recently this sells for $5 a pound for a 4lb bag.

Pesto Sauce - This is a recent discovery of mine and I can't get over how yummy it is. It is perfect on a sandwich, mixed with pasta, added to pizza, or just on a piece of bread. Given my success rate of keeping basil plants alive this is a great bang for your buck. Previously I was buying basil plants for about $4 and they would always die within 2 weeks. At around $9 for this large bottle it is definitely going to last me a lot longer!

Kirkland Kitchen Garbage Bags - These last forever! There's nothing worse than running out of garbage bags so I love buying these 200ct boxes for around $18.

Vitamins/OTC Medicine - I always load up on vitamins and OTC drugs like ibuprofen here. These can be super expensive at many stores but can be found for about a penny per pill at Costco.

Rotisserie Chicken - It is a no brainer how delicious these are. There is so much meat and they taste much better than grocery store chickens in my opinion. I also love using the leftovers for chicken soup the next day!

Household Surface Wipes - I love the Kirkland brand since they are significantly cheaper than name brand but I haven't seen them lately. I love these since I just cannot use dish rags or sponges without getting grossed out so these are always a staple in our house.

Organic Spinach - I buy the 1lb box of spinach and go crazy for about a week putting spinach in everything and then freeze the leftovers for smoothies. I don't buy organic everything but try to go organic with leafy greens when I can. This is a great buy at around $3 a lb.

Milk - This is a no brainer. This is always significantly cheaper than other stores. My husband's favorite food is cereal so we go through a lot of milk!

Frozen Fruit- I go through a ton of this for green smoothies. Especially once the farmer's markets have ended and gone are the days of huge flats of berries for $5. Always delicious and great to have on hand during the winter months.

Like I said, these are just a few of our favorites.  It was hard to narrow it down to 10! What are your Costco favorites?

7 comments:

  1. We JUST got a Costco membership (there's a LivingSocial deal going around) so I was very excited to see this in my blog feed, haha! I have no idea what our favorites will be, but I'll definitely be looking for that frozen fruit and spinach. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We shop for almost everything at Costco! The deals are so hard to beat anywhere else! The only thing I don't like from there are the vitamins. Unfortunately the Kirkland brand doesn't have a great track record and use a lot of fillers instead of the actual vitamin which is why they are so cheap. I've been taking Shaklee vitamins but there's a website to check the effectiveness of different brands that I looked at to find a good one. It's multivitaminguide(dot)org. I'm not affiliated with it at all, just used it to find good vitamins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I love Costco! I love the frozen fruits for smoothies as well! We also get our laundry detergent packs from there. They last forever and the Kirkland brand smells amazing! I really like the idea of keeping one loaf of bread in the freezer. Do you just bring it out whenever you're finished with the last loaf?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew about their vanilla!!! I'll have to look into that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES to the vitamins. We also like the stock up on bread and freeze the second loaf.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rotisserie chicken YES!! My staples are also dog food, peanutbutter pretzels, garlic, bacon bits

    ReplyDelete
  7. So funny. These are literally the staples in our house. They don't even need to be written on the list. Except with 2 kids we actually buy 2 of the double packs of bread and put 3 loaves in the freezer :) And yes- the trash bags (and paper towels and toilet paper) last SO long. It's quite amazing. Costco is heaven. But yeah, SHOCKED to go to Costco and see quinoa go up so high in price about 6 months ago. Last year I could buy that bag for $12....now it's $20....But still a good deal, you are right.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Leave me something nice!