5 Reasons Why You Should Start a Blog

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Blogging is a funny thing. I've blogged off and on for the last 4 or 5 years but blogging really stuck about 2 years ago. I may not post regularly or on a schedule but it's become something that I love and just can't seem to give up even if that sounds like a great idea sometimes. I decided to put together why blogging has been such a great part of my life for the last few years!


Forming Relationships 
The relationships that you can form through blogging are incredible. A couple months after I started blogging a bit more regularly I was invited to my first blogging get together. As an introvert it was super intimidating and I was super nervous but it was such a good experience to meet people who shared my same hobby. Now 2 years later I have been to countless blogging events and meet ups and get togethers and they are always so much fun. I love "talking shop" and sharing stories with everyone there. Have I mentioned the most random connections you will make? Someone is always a friend of a friend of someone's relative. It is such a small world. You will definitely come across the blog of the wife of your freshman roommates old boyfriend at some point or something equally crazy. It's a funny world out there.


Therapy
Sometimes it just feels good to write and there is something that feels especially good about late night writing. Hello I am writing this at midnight. Does this prove my point? :) I don't always say the most eloquent words that come right out of my mouth but sitting down and pulling out my laptop and essentially scribbling down thoughts and ideas really gets my creative juices flowing while also being really calming and comforting. There is something comforting about knowing that save button is there and that you don't have to publish anything you don't want to. I have plenty of posts that have been in my drafts for months. They might come out and they might not. And that's okay!

Getting Out 
As much as bloggers don't like to admit it, sometimes we do things so that we can blog about it! It is much easier to sit at home and veg out and watch Netflix with take out on a Friday night but is that going to be memorable? No! I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that. I have spent my fair share of weekends in. Sometimes I just need a little push to get me out the door and trying something I might not have done otherwise. I have discovered some amazing places and done some incredible things because I wanted something to write about. There is no shame in that! I am always down for a little determination.



Working With Products You Love
I have discovered so many great products, shops, and brands. Blogging gives you such a fun ability to reach out to brands and businesses and collaborate to come up with fun and exciting projects. Sometimes brands reach out to you and sometimes the opportunity is fantastic and sometimes it's not. It's okay to decline! It is also a blast to showcase your favorite products to your blog readers. Blogging gives you the ability to market your favorite products in a fun and creative way.

Communicating
This is why many of us started blogging in the first place. To stay in contact with friends and family. While I will admit it is weird to have so much of your life out in the open and you have no idea if your Great Aunt so and so knows this or that about your life because you aren't sure if she reads your blog. I will tell you though that it is really nice to become connected to loved ones through writing. I love my grandma. She is seriously one of my best friends. I love chatting on the phone with her but she has mentioned to me that she feels like she has gotten to know me at a deeper level through my writing. Did I mention how nice it is to have an online journal? I am the worst at writing in a real journal so this has been so nice to sit back and look at months down the road.

29 comments:

  1. I love this! Sometimes I feel like it's pointless because people probably don't read my blog, but I love having the documentation and the push to get out! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about how much I miss blogging, and you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree with these more! Some of the relationships I've formed while running my blog are so amazing and to think of my life without them makes me sad!! :) love you and your blog, Kel!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made so many 2 year + friendships from blogging! I talk to so many awesome people in a day that are so supportive of me and my ventures. I need that, because sometimes my friends that live here that don't blog just don't understand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I started my blog back over 10 years ago. I wouldn’t have had all these friendships if I didn't start one. Nor would I have had any friends when I moved from Canada to California - my best bud (who I've met online) now only lives a mile away from me! I mean --- the chances of that. How crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! Blogging is a great excuse to get out of the house because you tend to do fun things so you can blog about them! I also love how blogging connects you with some of your favorite brands. Since starting my blog I've worked with coma pines I've never dreamed of <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great reasons to start blogging. I started almost 19 months ago to document my adventures with my son, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man... that picture. haha Love it! these are all so true, love your post, Kelsey!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree with all of these reasons! Blogging definitely brings some surprising benefits, keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blogging is so therapeutic for me - it's so nice to get things out there! And the connections, like you said - are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are totally correct. I love blogging for all the reasons you list. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blogging has really helped me get out of my shell so much and has given me a creative outlet. I'm very happy to be a part of this lifestyle. I've made a lot of friends too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love blogging! My favorite parts of blogging are most certainly the relationships I've made and the conferences/meet ups I've gone to!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love blogging because it's like having a journal. I love going back and looking and reading at my posts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is all so true! I love blogging for each and every one of these reasons... and yes - sometimes having a blog makes us "get out" and do fun things! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love blogging, especially for meeting new people and communicating with others.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I started my blog as a creative outlet, but have also gained the other benefits as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the fact that my blog makes me get up and go to places I wouldn't normally. During weekends, sometimes the bf suggests nandos for a cheat lunch and I'm always like 'But it's not exactly blogable is it?!' So funny.

    Katie <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that having a blog makes me take pictures - it was the driving force behind me getting a real camera and now I have so many gorgeous photos of my kids growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  20. All great reasons but I'll have to say that blogging is so therapeutic, I think that is my main reason! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think all of these are great reasons but blogging is also a lot of hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This post is so accurate! When I started my blog, I never realized that it would lead to so many great friendships and such a wonderful and supportive community! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are so on point! One of my favorite things about blogging is making new friendships! I could have never imagined! I'm so lucky to have met you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this, these are all reasons why I blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great observations for someone like me that is just starting out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I started a blog because i love to write. I'm not good at it bu ti love it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I agree with you on all the points.
    Blogging has helped me to structure my thinking, my job, and even my work.
    I do agree that you meet super nice people through blogging and thanks to your blog (entrepreneurs, brands, etc), it is a fantastic adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I LOVE the journaling aspect. And the excitement that other people are feeling the same as me is wonderful. Nice article!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Leave me something nice!